Job Title: Part-time Lab Assistant, American Sign Lanuage
Position Available: 6/25/2020
Regular or Temporary: Temporary
Salary: $11.00/ hour
Responsible for providing assistance in the Sign Language Interpreter Training Program ASL computer labs
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES
· Host open lab hours for students to use computers for homework or for practicing sign language and interpreting. Tutoring students of all levels as needed.
· Troubleshoot technological problems. Calling/emailing TJC IT support, Sans Sony Soloist and/or GoReact to resolve them.
· Encode source materials (VHS or DVD videos) into the server database and cataloguing them into the sign language lab library. (Sans Sony Soloist)
· Set up Sans Sony Soloist “Dropboxes” for each semester’s classes.
· Cataloge donated or purchased textbooks and other materials for lab library.
· Assist professors during class if needed (ASL and Interpreting classes).
· Help professors grade homework for lower level classes.
· Help with various recruiting and retention efforts such as booth at open house, preview day, freshman orientations and community events.
· Keep labs clean and sanitized.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Must have strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Programs. Experience with GoReact, Sans Sony Soloist and Canvas a plus. Be able to easily learn new programs and troubleshoot issues during classes under pressure.
· Ability to meet goals and work effectively in a “team” environment with both Deaf and hearing teams.
· Must be able to respect confidentiality, implement problem solving, and maintain courtesy in dealing with students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
· Evidence of professionalism and soft skills including promptness, appropriate professional dress and demeanor and enthusiasm in working with the faculty and students.
· Evidence of native fluency in American Sign Language.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Will have contact – in person, by email, or by phone – with staff, students, and the general public. Must exhibit a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and to staff and students with disabilities.
The position description is not inclusive of all responsibilities and expectations and may be amended with or without prior notice.