Job Title: Part-Time Planetarium Educator, Science Center
Requisition ID: req1021
Regular or Temporary: Regular
Salary Range: 11.00 - 12.00 Hourly
Location: Tyler, TX
The Planetarium Educator (Earth & Space Science Center) represents Tyler Junior College to school groups, faculty, and the community. The person taking this job must be: strongly motivated, trustworthy, resourceful, not intimidated by technology, able to learn quickly, able to accomplish a job with very little supervision, willing to learn new things, and have a good sense of humor. This position reports to the director, Science Center for the following:
1. Presenting planetarium programs in the Hudnall Planetarium, which can include movies as well as live-presentations
2. Serve as point of contact for school groups upon their arrival, and explain rules and procedures.
2. Assist with hands-on, classroom activities for school and camp groups
3. Assist in maintaining a safe and clean environment in the planetarium, exhibit halls, and classroom space.
4. Performing other duties as assigned.
Other duties may include:
1. Assist in maintaining and updating the planetarium web site.
2. Assisting in the upkeep and maintenance of exhibit displays.
3. Creation & performance of presentations at local schools for
planetarium outreach projects.
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. An existing knowledge of astronomy or science is a plus but not an absolute necessity for the job.
3. Must be able to communicate effectively in person as well as in general telephone conversation.
4. Must be able to work independently, respect confidentiality, and maintain courtesy in dealing with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
5. Interpersonal skills required.